Community March to End Homelessness and Poverty
San Jose – Monday, August 27, 2007
Join CHAM, the Affordable Housing Network, Santa Clara County Collaborative on Affordable Housing and Homeless Issues, and others in a large march on Monday, August 27 in downtown San Jose. We call on Congress and the Federal government to take action to rapidly end homelessness and poverty in America once and for all.
* Section 8 Vouchers: Increase HUD funding to provide an additional 59,000 Section 8 vouchers for Santa Clara County. This is the number of families and individuals currently on the Section 8 waiting list.
* NHTF: Pass the National Affordable Housing Trust Fund legislation. The NHTF would fund the construction of 1.5 million low-income housing units - 75% for extremely low-income households over - 10 years.
* A right to housing: Legislation giving everyone in the U.S. a right to decent, affordable housing in a good neighborhood.
The Federal Government has the authority, the power, and the funds to end homelessness and poverty in America immediately, as called for by Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. However, Congress will not act unless we the people create the political will to make it happen.
- 4:00 PM Gather in front of the County Building
70 W Hedding St
- 4:30 PMBegin Marching
- 4:45 PMCongresswoman Zoe Lofgren's Office
635 N First St
- 5:30 PM Rally and Cultural Program, near
San Jose City Hall Plaza, 200 E Santa Clara St
If you or your organization is interested in endorsing the COMMUNITY MARCH TO END HOMELESSNESS AND POVERTY, please click here and complete the print the endorsement form and fax to 408-294-2963 or mail to CHAM at 80 S 5th St, San Jose, CA 95112.
For more information, call CHAM 408-295-4463 or email email@example.com